Those who start boxing, or other martial arts, like to focus only on improving the punches, but they do not care about their footwork. And, well, that is a huge mistake. If you see the best fighters, they almost “dance” in the ring. And for a good reason.
If your boxing footwork is developed, you can land your punches more accurately and powerfully, and more importantly, you can avoid being hit by your opponent. If it is terrible, you can quickly run into a huge punch and be knocked out, and your punches will not land where you want them to be landed. Hence, developing your footwork is as vital as your punches.
We can define the footwork in various ways, but this is my favorite one.
For the pugilist, footwork is deft and simplistic, allowing the fighter to move in and out of striking range as quickly as possible.Wikipedia
So, the footwork aims to maximize the boxer’s efficiency of defending and attacking. That is the reason why the best boxing trainers start teaching it first and then punching.
If you still do not believe why proper footwork is crucial for success, watch the video below in which Andre Ward explains the whys.
Let’s recap the benefits of good footwork.
- Your leg muscles get stronger. This way, your coordination, balance, and agility will be better.
- You will be able to throw more powerful and accurate punches as you will have better range control.
- You will have a better rhythm. That helps you to avoid tiredness, and you can pace yourself better.
- Because you move sufficiently, your opponent will miss more punches, and you can land more. Hence, you get more confidence while your opponent loses his.
- It helps to make fewer mistakes and conserve your energy.
- I’m going to make a collection of tips and tutorials on how to develop your boxing footwork.
And let me finish with a great quote from Ronda Rousey.
I wasn’t allowed to throw big hooks and overhand rights until I’d been striking for three years. It’s so you don’t rely on those things from the very beginning. If your footwork sucks, and you can only stand in one place and throw your hands all crazy while the other person is running around, you’re never going to be able to hit them.Ronda Rousey