If you’re serious about fighting training, then getting yourself a punching dummy bag may just be the best investment you ever make. Whether you want to do some boxing, kickboxing, learn or other martial art, or just want to keep in shape, a human-shaped bag is an ideal partner. Punching dummies are great tools to help you train because you can practice various techniques without needing a sparring partner.
By studying the market, we found five very impressive dummies that we review and compare. Also, below are some factors to consider before you make a purchase decision.
- Review of the Best Punching Dummies
- Punching Dummy Buying Guide
- Answers to related questions
Review of the Best Punching Dummies
1. Century BOB XL with Base
- Excellent stability and durability
- Great training experience
- Trusted manufacturer
The BOB XL training bag is ideal for the athlete that trains hard and smart. It virtually mirrors a live opponent. It’s the best martial arts dummy on this list.
The Original Century BOB bag is the biggest, baddest, most durable man-shaped
punching bag on the market. It’s a must-have for trained boxers, martial artists, and anyone who wants to hit something really hard.
The main reason it’s such a popular punching bag is that it has a human’s upper body. The human torso, head, and chest give the real target to practice head and body shots. This way, we can improve punches and kicks much better than with a standard hanging bag.
We can also adjust the bag in 7 positions from 60 to 82 inches. This way, we can set the bag to our height. The wide range of settings makes body opponent bag a good choice for both short and tall people.
The BOB punching bag also has a large base that we can fill with water or sand. If we fill it with sand, the bag weighs 270 lbs, and that gives excellent stability. It’s quite challenging to upset it even if land kicks on it. It’s among the most stable freestanding heavy bags.
The body is made of high-density foam, which absorbs the power of the kicks and blows well. Also, it’s a durable material.
Check out the video below to see how it works.
Advanced athletes prefer the bag since it allows them to target sensitive areas of the body, such as the groin, ribs, throat, chin, eyes, etc. BOB is excellent equipment for combat sports like Krav Maga.
For ground training, the mannequin can be detached from the dock. So, BOB is suitable for MMA and wrestling as well. Although, removing the body is a bit complicated.
Despite being filled, the base still raises off the ground a little bit. But, most users think the equipment is more stable than other punching dummy bags.
Because the body is soft, there is no pain even without boxing gloves.
- The design and structure make this a good opponent training bag for practicing precision kicks and strokes, giving a realistic training experience.
- Thanks to the stability, it gives a good resistance, particularly on the torso area.
- BOB dummy has a comfortable hitting area which is suitable to beat it with both gloves and bare hands.
- It’s a versatile, realistic training bag that is suitable for all combat sports.
- Adjusting the height of the Century BOB body opponent bag is a bit complicated.
- Since it’s big and heavy, it’s not easy to move around.
Compared to other sparring dummies, BOB is a bit more expensive. But it’s a durable bag with an excellent design that is used even in commercial gyms.
2. TITLE Hydro-Flex H2O Freestanding Torso Bag
- Durable and stable
- Flexible neck for better rebound
- Trusted manufacturer
The Hydro-Flex H2O Freestanding Bag is a completely portable, freestanding, water-filled training target. It is designed for use as a focus pad, heavy bag, or kick shield.
The TITLE Hydro-Flex H2O bag is designed to be a mitt-like punching target for practicing punches without a partner. This bag’s design is unique as it offers a freestanding solution with various angles that create a multitude of target areas and the natural contours of the human body.
The bag itself is constructed from a high-density foam covered in rubberized plastisol material. That gives the bag excellent resistance, response, and durability.
Flex-neck is a revolutionary technology that allows the body to move back and forth to create a more realistic action when struck. This feature lets us focus on speed, power, and accuracy. The neck is made of a heavy rubber that flexes slowly before returning to its original shape when struck.
Watch the video to see the bag move when you punch it.
Fill it with water or sand to ensure a stable base. After filling the bottom with sand, it weighs about 200-250 lb. that gives the bag excellent stability.
The TITLE Hydro-Flex H2O free-standing punching bag is a large realistic training apparatus made to build functional strength and endurance in the upper body. The product features an ideal 72” height which accommodates almost every size athlete.
- The flexible neck lets the mannequin move, so we get a more realistic opponent.
- 72” height is made to accommodate almost every size athlete.
- It is produced from professional-strength rubberized plastisol, filled with urethane foam to ensure longevity and response.
- Suitable for fitness boxing and home gyms
- Throw everything at him. Jabs, hooks, uppercuts, combinations, elbow and leg strikes, high kicks, knees. It’s suitable for any combat sports.
- The height isn’t adjustable.
- The rebounding is a bit slow.
3. Ring to Cage MMA Man-Shaped Dummy Punching Bag
- Beneficial equipment for any martial art
- We can use it as a hanging bag
This dummy is an excellent tool for training MMA, boxing, and kickboxing with realistic action. But, stronger fighters may need a heavier punching dummy.
This is a full-body punching dummy, and compared to the previous ones, it’s a hanging heavy bag. Therefore, it’s a better choice for MMA and kickboxing type of training. It’s similar in height to an opponent that would be 5’8” tall, which is the ideal height to practice on. Also, since we can hang the equipment, we can beat the bag from every angle. You can also practice some of your ground punches when your opponent falls by unhooking this punching dummy.
The jacket is made from heavy-duty polyester material. The lining is so densely filled that the training dummy weighs about 75 pounds and feels as if you were hitting a real human being. When attacking this unit, this stuffing gives a good resistance, but it also absorbs punches and kicks.
- Practice all sorts of punches and kicks on the torso and head and arms, legs, and neck.
- The body is well-stuffed and designed for more realistic fighting and can be hit by bare hands.
- Perfect for ground practice and easy to unhang.
- The arms can be set to any angle you’d like, which is great for practicing techniques your opponent may block.
- The 75-pound weight is maybe light for a bigger fighter.
- The limbs are a bit loose, and it is challenging to stuff materials to those areas.
4. Celebrita MMA Grappling Dummy
- Various sizes to choose from
- Useful practicing catching strategies
- Durable construction
Celebrita MMA is a manufacturer of professional dummies for taekwondo practitioners, kickboxers, and martial artists. For the best durability, it’s better to buy mannequins with a vinyl exterior, though.
The Celebrita MMA punching dummy is available in a variety of dimensions. The 47-inch size is perfect for a beginner to practice on. The 70-inch is great for adults. The weight of the dummy will also change depending on what size you buy. The weights available are 60 pounds, 77 pounds, and 99 pounds, so you can practice whether you are a novice or trained.
Watch the video how you can use it.
This is a kneeling dummy with straight arms. You can go up against it and practice your striking techniques on the ground. It keeps its legs curved 90 degrees as a rival does, so you’ll get better training. It works as a throwing dummy in wrestling, but it works better for groundwork since it is in the setting position.
Most versions of this punching dummy are made of leather, but it is also available in canvas. There are also different colors you can choose from.
- The material is very long-lasting and should last many years.
- There are many sizes available for this model.
- A great punching dummy to practice ground punches and other techniques that rely on muscle memory.
- Available in both leather and canvas.
- Can handle all your throws and takedowns.
- If you buy the unfilled version, it isn’t effortless to fill it.
- The leather shell cracks a bit after a while.
5. Mytra Fusion Big Punching Dummy
- Flexible base for rebound
- Good shock absorption
The Mytra Precision Training torso dummy gives the fighter a realistic punching target where they can showcase their skills.
This martial equipment is a free-standing dummy and was designed to focus on boxing and be used for other fighting and physical exercise. It is packed with urethane foam, and the exterior is made from high-quality silicone and plastisol. As a result, it can withstand extreme kicks and punches, making it very enduring for both beginners and professional athletes.
Polyethylene hard coat base unit holds sand or water for stability and can be filled up to 270 pounds. The boxing dummy has multiple height options, allowing the trainers to customize the training according to their requirements and height.
The Mytra Fusion is specifically made for both sparring and choking. It will give boxers the accuracy they need to fight with precision.
- Convenient and realistic hitting surface.
- Adjustable height.
- Perfect for improving punching accuracy.
- Compared to Century BOB, the trunk is shorter.
- It wobbles a bit.
6. Aoneky 6ft Leather Unfilled Grappling Dummy
- Long mannequin
- Durable outer material
- Comes unfilled so you can set it to your needs
When used for MMA, Jiu-Jitsu, and wrestling training, this dummy can be pretty valuable. The price is also affordable, but we should stuff it. For the arms, use socks, rags, ties. Use a wooden spoon to shove things right into the arm. For the other compartments, use a broomstick handle.
If you’re into grappling, such as Jiu-Jitsu, the Aoneky Leather Grappling Dummy would be great for you. It’s built like a human and has the same arm and leg movements as a real person. The dummy punching bag is designed to be fully maneuverable.
When filled with old blankets, used clothing, or pillow inserts, it will weigh up to 140 pounds. Triple-ply cover has excellent strength and is an excellent value for heavier dummies, as it can be slammed repeatedly. Additionally, it is made with industrial and unbreakable stitches.
- Great for practicing taking down opponents and for throwing them.
- It is made from high-quality and long-lasting materials.
- Every fight sports athlete will find this to be an excellent training and workout addition.
- The 6 feet height makes it a realistic opponent.
- The arms aren’t quite long enough.
- It has only one hole for filling, so stuffing the limbs is a bit difficult.
Punching Dummy Buying Guide
There are many steps to take when you’re looking to buy a punching dummy. Here some features to check out.
The height and weight that suits you
If you prefer a freestanding punching bag, the best is to buy one that can be adjusted. That way, you set the bag to your height or for the preferred training. For example, Century BOB can be changed in 7 settings. If you want a grappling dummy, it should be about as tall as you.
When it comes to hitting a dummy, you need to determine the amount of power that you can utilize with the dummy based on its weight. Obviously, bigger men with power punches and kicks need a heavier bag that will stand the impact.
The type for different needs
Hanging heavy punching bags can be used for practicing and mastering kickboxing, karate, boxing, etc., as well as for keeping in physical shape. But, they need a dedicated space, and sometimes it’s hard to install.
Freestanding bags are also suitable for practicing punches, kicking, knee and elbow strikes, headbutts, and throws. They don’t require installation, and they are mobile. But, they are more willing to fall over.
Grappling dummies are used to simulate an opponent for grappling martial arts training and general striking training and sparring. They are portable and easy to store, but for boxing punches, they aren’t the best.
The used materials
The dummy should have a stuffing that is convenient to hit. It shouldn’t be too soft nor hard. It should absorb the impact of the kicks and punches. The best is if the filling is similar to the human body.
The cowhide exterior is the best, but it requires maintenance, and it’s expensive. The best alternative is vinyl which is a durable material, cheaper, and easy to clean.
How much is a fighting dummy?
A quality sparring dummy is quite expensive, over 300 dollars. If you just started a combat sport or need exercise equipment for home conditioning, a cheap punching dummy, under 200 dollars, will do. Advanced athletes should get only professional fighting gear.
Answers to related questions
What are the benefits of using a punching dummy?
Punching dummies are training devices that are used to help boxers practice their punching techniques. The primary purpose of a dummy is to give boxers specific targets to punch at. Since the mannequin has a mannequin and head, they can practice head and body shots much better. Plus, the human-like design gives a plus for the workout.
What martial arts are the dummies suitable for?
Many martial arts use dummies such as Muay Thai, MMA, Boxing Judo, kickboxing, etc. It can be valuable training equipment for any martial art training.
How do you punch a punching bag properly?
Punching a heavy punching bag is meant to improve your punching skills. You hit the boxing bag to improve your punching power, your punching speed, and your long-term punching endurance. Within this video, you can learn the proper technique.
Punching dummy vs. bag
Heavy bags can be used for most types of punching and kicking drills to develop power. However, punching dummies is great for practicing more advanced techniques such as sparring and elbows to advance the accuracy of the punches.
Related topics: Find the best free-standing punching reviews here.
To sum up
Punching dummies are not just for boxers and mixed martial arts fighters, but these things are versatile opponent training equipment that could be used in every type of combat sport. Due to its versatility, it can be used both by beginners and masters and, of course, for cardio workouts at your home gym.
All products on this page are of high quality, which means you won’t regret your purchase.
If you still have questions, feel free to ask them below.